Watershed Alliance of Adams County
5 Year Strategic Plan
Revised: September 17, 2015
Mission: The mission of the Watershed Alliance of Adams County (WAAC) is to monitor, improve, and protect water resources within Adams County.
Methods to Accomplish Mission:
1. Investigate: Gather data about the quality and quantity of water in Adams County; and about the needs of local governments related to water resources.
- Regularly meet with/survey local municipalities to see the how WAAC can help them make educated decisions on water issues (e.g., Adams Co COG, survey)
- Develop/support county-wide water monitoring programs and databases to monitor water resource trends and identify current issues
2. Advocate: Encourage sound water management and land use practices that promote a sustainable watershed; promote watershed improvement projects.
- Promote ways local elected officials and planners can improve local water resources; model ordinances, trainings, comprehensive plans (water element), best management practices
- Serve on government committees that deal with water-related issues. e.g., Water Resources Advisory Committee (WRAC)
- Participate in ad hoc task forces. e.g., Critical Area Resource Plan (CARP)
- Collaborate with organizations whose goals are similar to WAAC’s
- Present/submit written or oral testimony/comments where appropriate
3. Educate: Inform local watershed stakeholders about timely water related issues and provide opportunities for those stakeholders to get involved.
- Submit monthly articles to the Gettysburg Times on timely water issues
- Sponsor volunteer opportunities. e.g., stream cleanup
- Maintain an up-to-date website
- Maintain an up-to-date display and take it to appropriate events
- Publish newsletter
- Provide periodic, timely water related meetings
- Furnish speakers for organizations interested in learning about water resource issues
4. Sustain and Grow: Maintain the viability and sustainability of the Watershed Alliance of Adams County.
- Carry out day-to-day administration of WAAC
- Establish an annual plan of work and recruit project leads
- Create and approve an annual calendar and budget
- Maintain current membership
- Recruit Board members to forward/support mission
- Increase membership
- Mobilize membership
- Pursue grant funding when appropriate
- Update bylaws and other governing documents as needed